Jul 12, 2013

European Capsule Wardrobe (Take 1) Plus Packing List

I planned to do a mock pack job today on my day off work but Gümby was home vomiting with a tummy bug.  She even had to miss her preschool graduation ceremony tonight, which was heartbreaking.  Lots of crying and sadness.


I did take a photo of my first pass travel wardrobe a couple days ago:


Please excuse the black dress' "ghosting" at the left.  Not sure what was going on there.  There is only one black dress to the left of the white pants and gray t-shirt.

Top row, left to right: Gray t-shirt, purple t-shirt, black tank top, navy blue tank top, gray and white dot cardigan.
Bottom row, left to right: Black wrap dress, white pants that convert to capris, lightweight comfy jeans, tan shorts, olive green shorts, teal skirt, and multi-color floral scarf.
Shoes, top to bottom: Tan hiking/walking shoes, navy blue ballet flats, charcoal gray wedge sandals, and pink flip-flops.

This photo proved to me that it is a very handy tool when planning a capsule wardrobe.  Why?  Because I could immediately see what works and what doesn't without any emotional attachment.

What I learned:
1) The shorts are very close in color so I'll probably eliminate one pair.  I prefer the fit of the olive green shorts but think the tan shorts will be more versatile.  I'll probably bring the tan.
2) This wardrobe is dark!  I will probably swap out the navy tank for a brighter, bolder tank color.  Maybe orange or tomato red.  And I'll swap out the black tank for white.
3) I don't like the pink flip-flops.  I bought them on a whim several years ago specifically for post-pedicures.  The style of these - with the strap that wraps around the big toe - aren't very comfortable but I figured I'd bring them for trips to the beach or pool.  I ran into Old Navy today (yes, with a sick Gumby - hate me) to buy some last-minute wardrobe pieces and bought some red traditional-style flip-flops to bring instead.  At less than $5 I couldn't resist.

I've also since checked average July and August temps for the cities we're traveling to and got a reality check.  London and nights in the Alps will be a little chillier than I expected.  I'm adding a long-sleeve t-shirt (color to be determined) and an olive green light jacket to my pack list.

Also on my list but not pictured above is a bathing suit cover-up and pajamas.  I bought a cheap $15 tank dress w/ elasticized waist today at Old Navy.  I was going to bring separate jammies but realized that the tank dress could double as jammies.  It'll be unused most of the time as a cover-up so I might as well get some more use out of it, right?  Aren't I brilliant?! It's orange with red piping at the neck and arms.

Once my capsule wardrobe is finalized, you know I will be posting photos here.  You also know you can expect to see photos of everything all packed up.  We're doing carry-on only: I'll be using a "suitcase backpack" and a shoulder tote.

In case you're curious, here's my current/updated wardrobe pack list:
  • White pants that convert to capris
  • Lightweight comfy jeans
  • Another pair of pants? Black leggings?
  • Tan or olive green shorts
  • Teal skirt
  • White tank top
  • Orange or tomato red tank top
  • Purple t-shirt
  • Charcoal gray t-shirt
  • Long-sleeve t-shirt (color TBD)
  • Gray & white dot cardigan
  • Black dress
  • Fun necklaces
  • Black belt
  • Olive green jacket
  • Bathing suit
  • Beach cover-up/jammies
  • Floral scarf
  • 2-3 pairs synthetic socks
  • 5 pairs of light colored/nude undies (3 synthetic, 2 cotton)
  • 2 bras (1 nude, 1 black)
Shoes:
  • Tan hiking/walking shoes
  • Navy blue ballet flats
  • Charcoal gray wedge sandals
  • Red flip-flops
**Update: Please see Final European Capsule Wardrobe for what I actually took as well as what I loved and what I didn't.

Everything else, including stuff to keep the kids occupied on the plane:
  • Night light
  • Half-bar of Zote laundry soap + travel box of powdered Tide
  • Travl clothesline
  • 3 inflatable clothes hangers
  • Flat drain plug and/or old shipping bag for doing laundry
  • Sunblock! One 3 oz in each person's quart size bag
  • Bug spray
  • Sunglasses
  • Plane treats (lollipops, chocolate chips, dried cereal) & snacks (granola bars)
  • Special gift-wrapped in-plane toys plus painter's tape, pipe cleaner, tin foil, scissors, glue sticks, books, crayons & small pad of paper, Magnadoodle, Post-It notes, etc.
  • First aid kit (include ibuprofen, Zyrtec, cough medicine, Afrin, band aids, moleskin, Neosporin, etc.)
  • Supplements in small baggies
  • Medications
  • Face wash, baby wash, Diva Cup, pantiliners, makeup, toothbrush, toothpaste, tweezers, razor
  • Kleenex travel packs
  • Various size ziploc bags
  • Tide stain stick
  • Luggage straps
  • Tablet + DVD player + earphones + earphone splitter jack
  • Cell phone
  • Phone charger
  • Phone headphones
  • Universal plug adapter & converter
  • Baby washcloths (1 per person)
  • Super-absorbent pack towel
  • Small umbrella
  • Laundry sack or a couple plastic grocery bags
  • Small wet bag?
  • Medical insurance cards
  • Photocopies of paperwork
  • Passports
  • Crumpet's orthodontic kit + his small travel toothbrush to carry in my purse
  • Gümby's inflatable booster seat
  • Exercise band for continuing shoulder physical therapy
  • European scavenger hunt game for the kids
  
We're leaving a week from tomorrow.  Eeek! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

discussion by