Jun 10, 2013

Disneyland Recap

We survived!  3 days straight in Disneyland Resort and I'm still recovering 5 days later, which is why I've been MIA.  It was certainly tiring but we had lots of fun!

Every day since returning, Gümby has been announcing, "I love Disneyland" and "I want to go back to Disneyland."



We had 3 days total to spend in Disneyland Resort.  We spent 2-1/2 days in Disneyland and 1/2 day in California Adventure.  Really, the only thing that impressed me in California Adventure was Cars Land.  Cars Land was sweet!  We just had to ride Radiator Springs Racers being that everyone raves about it.  The line was 80 minutes long (!) first thing in the morning.  Ugh.  Fun ride but not one I'll stand in such a long line for ever again.  I just didn't feel like I *had* to ride it again.

I asked everyone what their favorite rides are:
Crumpet (age 9) said Star Tours
Gümby (age 5) said It's A Small World
Mars (age 46) said Star Tours

My favorite ride (I'm 42!) is Pirates of the Caribbean.

Gümby was tall enough at 43" to ride all the rides in Disneyland except for Indiana Jones.  Of course, in California Adventure she wasn't tall enough to ride the big and super fast roller coaster, California Screamin'.  Last time we went, when she was 3 years old, she wasn't able to ride most of the "scarier" rides like Matterhorn, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Splash Mountain, etc.  We couldn't ride Big Thunder Mountain Railroad since it was closed for refurbishing.  Both the kids' second favorite ride is Matterhorn.  They couldn't get enough!

In Disneyland, we did the following attractions:
Disneyland Railroad (3x)
Horse-Drawn Streetcar
Jungle Cruise (multiple times)
Indiana Jones Adventure (3x)
Tarzan's Treehouse (2x)
Pirates of the Caribbean (multiple times)
Haunted Mansion
Splash Mountain
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Pinocchio's Daring Journey
Sleeping Beauty's Castle Walkthrough
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Peter Pan's Flight
Matterhorn Bobsleds (multiple times)
Storybook Land Canal Boats
It's A Small World (multiple times)
Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
Autopia (3x)
Innoventions, where the kids did an awesome interactive Iron Man exhibit
Star Tours (3x)
Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters

We ate meals at Blue Bayou (always awesome), Big Thunder Ranch Barbecue (always awesome), and Redd Rocket's Pizza Port (sucked).

I also tried a Dole Whip soft-serve for the first ever.  I'M IN LOVE!  I've been craving it ever since.  I tried making a homemade version tonight that I found on the internet but it's not "fresh" tasting enough.  I used frozen pineapple; I think fresh might be necessary.  I'm refining the recipe but will post if/when I find something close.

We also bought premium seating tickets for Fantasmic.  The seats were really expensive for a 25 minute show but a decadent dessert box and unlimited drinks were included so we bit the bullet and did it.  Will we do it again?  Probably not, but it truly was awesome.  It was very special and we felt like royalty.  The kids' eyes got huge when they got their dessert box - priceless!

I mean, check this out....
The over-the-top and completely decadent Fantasmic! dessert box

From left to right, top: milk chocolate truffle, white chocolate truffle, 3 Babybel cheeses, 2 slices of cheese, red seedless grapes, 4 Carr's crackers, fork, knife, and napkin.
From left to right, bottom: Mini chocolate lava cake, coconut macaroon, mini cheesecake with chocolate Mickey wafer, mini key lime pie with dollop of whipped cream and slice of candied lime, and a raspberry filled sugar cookie.

It was waaaaay too much!  We had to carry all four boxes back to the hotel afterward and ate them over the next two days.  Sugar bomb!  I honestly would have preferred cheaper seats without the dessert box.

In California Adventure, we did the following attractions:
Radiator Springs Racers
Heimlich's Chew Chew Train
Mickey's Fun Wheel
Goofy's Sky School
The Little Mermaid
Soarin' Over California
Grizzly River Run

I'd say my favorite ride in California Adventure was Grizzy River Run.  Fun!  We got soaked, though!  Fortunately, the sun broke through the clouds when we rode it and it was the warmest it had been in the entire 3 days at around 70 degrees.

We ate a meal at Flo's V8 Café.  Food was great but we were disappointed to arrive there and see that they did not serve burgers and fries like we were hoping.  Menu was mostly sandwiches and sliced meats.  I chose the sliced roasted turkey, which was surprisingly delicious.

I have a lot more to add but they will be in separate posts... like using packing cubes and our new luggage for the first time, wearing the synthetic "travel" undies for the first time, how I could not wear the new sandals I purchased especially for the trip (I was so disappointed!), and a follow-up on the vegan vanilla chia breakfast pudding (yes, I made it - hated it!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

discussion by